Felt Sampler Workshop , Oct 4,5 &6, 2019
Felt Sampler Workshop , Oct 4,5 &6, 2019
Instructor Dawn Edwards is an internationally renowned instructor in felting techniques. Her work is phenomenal and has won multiple awards. She will be teaching us how to make 3 projects in 3 days: a hat, a vessel and a necklace). Please see additional info tab for further instructions.
Felting Class Fees , Schedules, Information
Class date and times: Friday Oct 4th through Sunday Oct. 6th , 2019 .Time is 9 am to 4pm each day, Lunch break 12 to 1pm.
Registration:$375 per person is the class charge for each 3 day class. To register for classes please contact Glenna Combs at firstname.lastname@example.org ; for more information about class content contact Dawn Edwards.
Payment: Classes must be paid for through Pay Pal. You will be sent a Pay Pal invoice when you register. All class fees for supplies are to be paid directly to the instructor.
Cancellations/Refunds: Classes may be canceled up through September 1st at Midnight and a full refund minus a $25 dollar processing fee will be refunded to you. Cancellations after this date will not be refunded to you.
There is a new guest cottage on site that has 4 twin beds, two in a downstairs bedroom, and 2 in a sleeping loft. There is a small sitting area that has a futon that also makes a full bed, a kitchenette with full cooking facilities, a bath with a shower and two decks. If you don't mind sharing a room and shower you can stay on site where you can be totally immersed in the experience for $60 dollars per night. A continental breakfast is provided. Thursday thru Sunday ( 4 nights) fee for rooming is $240. There is a lunch provided by the hostess for $10 each day that you can pay in cash to the hostess. However if you have special dietary needs or prefer to have your own food you may use the kitchenette in the guest house and save the $10. There will be free snack and drinks during the classes. There is also a “Pizza Party” every Saturday night provided by the hostess.
If you don't wish to stay on site there is only one local hotel. The nearest hotel is 8 miles away. It is Heritage Inns & Suites. The phone number is 606-598-1800. You will be responsible for paying for your accommodations as per the hotel policies. This hotel stays booked ahead so get your reservations made early
.Meals: Your Evening meal will be on your own. ( Usually we all get together and go out to eat on Friday) If you stay at the hotel they has a minimal breakfast bar but there is Huddle House next door and several fast food restaurants immediately available. For the evening meals there are other options locally and in the next town which is about a 30 minute drive away. Since the studio is 8 miles from the nearest town, a good lunch will be provided for $10 each as well as free drinks and refreshments throughout the day. However, if you have special dietary requirements you may choose to bring your lunch. A place for refrigeration will be provided at the studio.
Transportation: Travel to and from the studio is own your own. The closest airport is in either Lexington, Ky or Knoxville, Tn. Either is a 2 hours drive from the studio.
Studio Location: 105 Jerry's Rd., Manchester, Ky. 40962. Phone 606-598-7186
Directions: From North, take 75 south to the 1st London, Ky exit. At the end of the ramp, turn left onto Hal Rogers Parkway . From South: Take 75 north to the 2nd London, Ky exit, at the end of the ramp, turn right.
Once you exit and are going east on Hal Rogers Parkway go approximately 20 miles to the Manchester, Ky. Exit, at the end of the ramp turn left. Follow 421 north approximately 9 miles. Watch for the 25 mile marker on the right. Immediately past the mile marker ( about 100 feet) is a gravel road to the right, turn right here and the studio is the second house on the left. Gray with maroon shutters, a long front porch.
Release of liability: You will be ask to sign a release of liability when you sign up for the class. This class will be working with hot items (irons, steam, etc. ) and sharp instruments ( needles, scissors, etc). The setting is in a rural, rustic area in rugged terrain. There are some steps and stairs to navigate as well.
Student Supplies List (Please let me know if you need help sourcing any of the below). I would highly recommend Living Felt in Austin, TX for any of your felting needs (www.livingfelt.com ):
• 19 – 21.5-micron Merino wool tops (the amount will vary depending upon the hat style that you wish to make, but up to 5 oz. per hat). Also, you will have time to start, or perhaps even finish, an additional hat (depending upon the style and complexity of the hat that you choose), so do bring additional wool from your stash…Always better to have too much than to run short. Also, please make sure that your Merino is not Superwash as Superwash has been treated so that it will not felt.
• If you wish to Nuno-felt, please bring lightweight silk fabrics (such as silk chiffon) or lightweight beaded silk fabrics (I buy beaded silk dresses from the thrift shop to use for this…please check the label to make sure it is silk, polyester fabrics will not work).
• Other optional embellishing fibers: silk fibers, silk hankies, etc. (www.livingfelt.com )
• Also, if you have any cool buttons, brooches, feathers, etc., they make a great addition to your hat.
• 3-4 old bath size towels.
• Bubble wrap with small bubbles. 2 pieces, each 24” x 36” (you may duct tape narrower widths together if needed…tape on the smooth side if so).
• A plastic beach pail or bucket to hold water.
• Olive oil soap or mild dish soap such as Dawn (no Oxy or bleach formulas).
• Laundry sprinkler bottle or Ballbrause water sprinkler. (Ballbrause may be purchased at www.livingfelt.com )
• PVC pipe or pool noodle (you will only need half of the pool noodle, so if it makes it easier for packing, feel free to cut it in half).
• Sharp scissors, stainless steel pins, a tape measure.
• A wood hat block in your head size is a great investment if you are going to be making hats in the future. I will have a couple of hat blocks to share if you do not own or wish to purchase one.
• Old pantyhose or an old t-shirt that can be snipped into strips to tie your felt bundles for rolling.
• Notebook, pen, and a Sharpie marker.
There is also a $10 fee payable to Dawn Edwards to include pattern material for the 3 projects and written instructions. Additional pattern material may be purchased from instructor if you wish to copy additional patterns.